Gilson plays through head injury, leading LR to victory

By Wayne E. Rivet
Staff Writer

Kevin Gilson pulled a Curt Schilling, sort of.

Knocked into the padding on the back wall but striking his head against a piece of wooden molding late in the first quarter, Gilson was forced to the Lake Region locker room after suffering two-inch gash.

On Senior Night, nothing would hold back Gilson or his gunning mate, fellow senior Danny Place. Sporting gauze, stretch wrap and a headband, Gilson returned to score 8 of his 16 points during a 24-9 second quarter outburst, and Place netted six 3-pointers en route to a game-high 25 points as Lake Region edge Fryeburg Academy in an action-packed contest at Nutting Gym Tuesday night.

Gilson was a difference maker, especially when the Raiders tried to bring pressure late in the game. With blood staining the gauze on the back of his head, Gilson routinely found open players, including a full-court, one-handed laser to Erik Christensen, who scored an uncontested lay-up.

And Place was clutch with the game on the line. After Fryeburg pulled within six points as Colby Locke stole the ball under the basket and scored with 1:54 left, Place sank 5-of-6 foul shots to seal the victory.

As expected, this one had plenty of drama.

With both student bodies on their feet and yelling, the Lakers and Raiders produced all kinds of fireworks. LR shooters were hardly bashful about launching 3-pointers throughout the game. In fact, their first seven field goals were treys, and they finished off the half with 11 three-point plays — 8 from behind the arc, and three earned the old-fashioned way, a hoop and a free throw.

While it seemed the Lakers were in full control, leading 39-22 at intermission and 54-38 after three quarters, the Raiders refused to quit. FA showed some bravado to start the third when Walker Mallory, Bright Amoako and Mike Costa each knocked down 3-point shots in a minute span to make it a game at 39-31. A timeout served the Lakers well as Place drilled two 3-pointers, and junior Alex Hartford flushed a missed shot for a 48-34 LR lead. The play, however, was challenged by Raider Coach Sedge Saunders. Was it offensive interference? Or, did Hartford hang onto the rim a bit too long? Saunders lost the argument with one official, and received a technical foul. Place made both foul shots as the Laker ended the quarter with an 8-4 run as Mike Mageles swished a 3-pointer from the left corner.

This one was far from over. With the Lakers commiting four straight turnovers, the Raiders clawed their way back as Amoako sank three 3-pointers down the stretch. Locke and 6-foot-7 Florian Forsting each had power moves to the hoop to tighten the game. FA had a chance to move closer, but misfired twice on the front end of 1-and-1 foul shot chances.

Amoako had his shot working, but was a little unlucky. He hustled for a loose rebound in the right corner, but while trying to toss the ball off a Laker defender out of bounds, the basketball touched him while he was out of play. Ball back to the Lakers, and Place made the deciding free throws.

FA sophomore Tyler Saunders gave the Raiders one final gasp, draining a deep 3-pointer (the 21st trey of the night) with 21.1 seconds. But, FA was unable to come up with a steal and ran out of time, 67-60.

For the Lakers, Hartford, who was very aggressive taking the ball inside against the Raiders’ twin towers, dropped in 13 points, while Mageles added 8, Christensen 4 and Mike Triglione 1.

For the Raiders, Amoako led the way with 17 points, while Locke chipped in 15, Costa 11, Mallory 10, Forsting 4 and Saunders 3.

Here’s the 3-Point count:

Lakers — Place 6, Gilson 3, Mageles 2.

Raiders — Amoako 4, Costa 3, Mallory 2, Saunders 1.

Please follow and like us: