Three men arrested after melee with police officers

FRYEBURG — Three men were arrested Saturday at 11:45 p.m. following a melee on Old Mill Road in Fryeburg, which resulted in a Fryeburg Police officer allegedly being assaulted.

Just prior to midnight, Fryeburg Police received a disturbance call at 17 Old Mill Road. Officer Mark Dyer arrived on scene along with Oxford County Sheriff’s Office Deputy Richard Murray, who was on his way home at the time of the call.

When the two officers arrived, they found what was described as a melee occurring inside the residence and evidence that a scuffle has occurred outside in the driveway. The officers were met with resistance at the door when trying to enter and Deputy Murray was reportedly assaulted at that time. A Taser was deployed by Deputy Murray and the two officers were then confronted and taunted by several intoxicated males. Officer Dyer was allegedly assaulted during the confrontation. The disorderly group continued to advance on the officers forcing them to retreat from the residence until backup arrived.

Within only a few minutes, additional Oxford County deputies, State Police Troopers, Bridgton Police and Cumberland County Sheriff’s deputies arrived to assist along with Fryeburg Rescue to treat the victims.

Arrested and charged were:

Harold Fall Jr., 52 of Fryeburg, disorderly conduct, assault on Deputy Murray (misdemeanor) and refusing to submit to arrest.

Jeremy Wentworth, 25, of Conway, N.H., assault on Officer Dyer (misdemeanor), disorderly conduct, obstructing government administration and refusing to submit to arrest.

Ian MacDonald, 23, of Lovell, obstructing government administration and refusing to submit to arrest.

All three were transported to the Oxford County Jail.

“We are extremely grateful for all of the police agencies prompt response to our officer’s call for assistance. Had back-up been unavailable or a farther distance away, this call could have had a different outcome,” said Fryeburg Police Sgt. Joshua Potvin. “It doesn’t matter if it takes only one or if it takes 12 officers to do the job. We will get the job done. Fortunately nobody was seriously injured in this event. I attribute this to exemplary collaboration between police agencies.”

Please follow and like us: