Peter J. Turner

PORTLAND — Peter J. Turner, 69, of New Gloucester, died on Wednesday, Feb. 1, 2012.

He was born in Portland on Aug. 18, 1942, the oldest of three children of Frank G. and Margaret G. (McCrosson) Turner. He grew up in South Portland, graduating from Holy Cross Grammar School (1956) and Cheverus High School (1960). He attended St. Francis Xavier University, Antigonish, Nova Scotia. In 1977, he was awarded a bachelor of science degree, magna cum laude, in Accounting from the University of Maine at Portland-Gorham, and a master’s degree in Business Administration in 1986 from the University of Southern Maine.

His working career included Sears, Roebuck & Company; The Church World; ITT; Sweda International, a Litton Industries subsidiary; chief financial officer at Catholic Charities Maine; and most recently, director of administration at the law firm of Robinson, Kriger & McCallum, P.A. He retired from the U.S. Coast Guard Reserve after 37 years in Port Security, Training, Recruiting and Public Affairs. He was the part time bookkeeper for the Cathedral of the Immaculate Conception, Portland, for 25 years. He was an adjunct professor of accounting at St. Joseph’s College, Standish, for eight years.

At various times, he served as a board member of multiple organizations, most noticeably chairman of the Board of Directors of the Church World; chairman of the Board of Directors of McAuley Residence; chairman of the Board of Trustees of Cheverus High School; treasurer of Goodwill Industries of Northern New England; president of the Goodwill Development Board; and the finance committee of the Board of Directors of Catholic Charities USA, Washington, D.C. He was a past treasurer/secretary, past vice president, and past president of the Downeast Chapter of the Association of Legal Administrators.

For several years, he served as treasurer of the Royal River Rod and Gun Club. He was president of the parish council at Church of St. Gregory the Great in Gray. He served on the Budget and CIP Committees of the Town of New Gloucester. He was treasurer of the Bible Society of Maine. He was a charter member of St. Edmund’s Knights of Columbus Council 11016, Westbrook; charter grand knight of the Bishop Amedee Proulx Knights of Columbus Council 11257, Portland; holder of various offices in the Westbrook Fourth Degree Assembly, and a former Knights of Columbus District Deputy. He was a Lay Leader and Eucharistic Minister at the Church of St. Gregory the Great. He was a member of the Portland Eagles, the Gray Post of the American Legion, and Post 6 of the Amvets in New Gloucester.

The president of Cheverus High School awarded Peter and Marion the “Crescamus in Illo” award in 1996 for “years of generous service and dedication to the young men of Cheverus High School and to people throughout the world.” As chair of the Board of Trustees of Cheverus High School, he played a key role during the expansion and building years in which the school transitioned from a single sex to a coeducational college preparatory high school.

He was an extremely intelligent, charming, and giving person with a tremendously strong work ethic. But, above all of these important accomplishments and contributions, the most significant was his unwavering commitment and dedication to his faith and family, and the virtues and qualities he instilled in each of his 10 children. He recognized no barriers and there were no sacrifices too big when it came to the well-being of his family. He was particularly proud of his children, all of whom returned to settle in southern Maine after finishing their education at universities and colleges throughout the Northeast and the Maritimes.

He is survived by his wife of 46 years, the former Marion Edna Locke; two daughters, Diane Smith of Durham and Kathryn Johnson of Naples; eight sons, Lawrence of Windham, Michael of Scarborough, David of South Portland, Brian of South Portland, Jason of Portland, Peter Jr. of New Gloucester, John of Portland and Stephen of Windham; two sisters, Sr. Ellen L. Turner, R.S.M., of Portland and Margaret Ann Parenteau of Biddeford; 15 grandchildren and several nieces and nephews.

Visitation was held on Saturday, Feb. 4, at Conroy-Tully Crawford South Portland Chapel, 1024 Broadway Street, South Portland. A Concelebrated Mass of Christian Burial was held on Monday, Feb. 6, 2012, at St. Joseph’s Catholic Church, 673 Stevens Avenue, Portland. Burial with military rites followed at the New Calvary Cemetery in South Portland.

In lieu of flowers, donations may be made to: The Hospice House of Androscoggin County, 236 Stetson Road, Auburn, ME 04210.

Please follow and like us: